“We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” ~ Winston Churchill
“Magic is believing in yourself. If you can do that, you can make anything happen.” ~ Johann Wolfgang van Goethe
“Surrender to what is. Say “yes” to life-and see how life suddenly starts working for you rather than against you.” ~ Eckhart Tolle
~Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional~
I heard this message on suffering from Dr. Roger Teel, Senior Minister and Spiritual Director of Mile Hi Church in Denver, Colorado months ago and wanted to share it. I took notes during his message because it was so powerful and touched me as I hope it will for you. Dr. Teel’s message:
Pain is not the cause of suffering. Suffering is a painful experience and is human resistance and struggling. We can be free from being owned by the pain. Don’t let pain degrade into suffering.
Why we suffer:
- We forget who we are. We are spiritual beings. Suffering temporarily clouds our spirituality and we forget we are One with the Creator. We forget our Truth.
- We cling. When we cling to that which changes we suffer.
- We resist. Pain goes on longer because we are in a resistant mode and we resist change. We resist what is.
- We close. Our hearts close down to intimacy and vulnerability.
- We Poison. Our awareness turns to resentment, bitterness, and guilt. When guilt arises it turns to shame (unworthiness). Guilt says “I made a mistake” while shame says “I made a mistake and I am shame.” Pain is inevitable but suffering is optional.
Dr. Teel’s suggestions for dealing with suffreing:
- Surrender to what is. Let the fighting go and open up. In the pain there are gifts and opportunities. We can’t receive when we are suffering. Let go of resisting and open to the gifts that are available.
- Let your spirit lead. Turn to your higher self and let it lead you. Let your spirit guide you. Listen to your inner voice when in pain.
- Connect with your core self. Enjoy your own company. Love yourself. Self love is so important! Break free from whatever is holding you back. It’s okay that you are going through pain because something good is just around the corner. Focus on your courage, energy, and essence of your eternal spirit.
Life is good, even in difficult times. Let your light shine!
“Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Kahlil Gibran
“The beginning of suffering is often the refusal to look at the situation as it really is.” ~ Deepak Chopra
“People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar.” ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
Picture by feainne on Deviant Art
“Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.” ~ John Wooden
“We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.” ~ T.S. Eliot
“We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.” ~ William E. Gladstone
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” ~ Henry S. Haskins
“Wanting to be someone else is a waste of who you are.” ~ Kurt Cobain
“Trust in your life-more than your script.” ~ Tama Kieves